Remove this ad

ruebarb

Site Admin

Lead

Jan 10 14 4:06 PM

Tags : :

Here’s my alternate install location for the CB and remote box. I didn’t like the idea of installing the CB in the storage box because the box is always being used for other items when I’m driving and also you need to look down to grab the CB. I wanted something that was right in front of me.

NOTE: You will want to wrap the cord with fabric where is hits the plastic, the crappy silver paint wears off from the rubbing.

Items used:
Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio (75WXST)
Garmin Suction Cup Mount for the StreetPilot C510 and C550 (010-10747 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7857S/102-1840714-5946560
5 - long black zip ties
1 - short black zip tie
1 - Wirthco 30103 Tapa-Circuit- Mini http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQI22K/102-1840714-5946560

Garmin mount

I used the small zip tie around the ring and a larger zip tie for hanging. I may at some point buy some wire and bend it to the exact shape I want, but for now this will do.

Location to mount remote box, metal housing for the brake pedal arm

The remote box mount with 2 zip ties zipped together around each side.

Now you need to wire the box to the FJ. Connect the positive to the mini fuse tap and plug into empty fuse slot in fuse panel.

To connect the ground, follow these steps.

Remove the kick panel along the door, pulls up.

Remove the dead pedal, slide your fingers behind the top, grab and pull towards you.

Turn the plastic screw that was under the dead pedal, towards the left, pop off panel on left.

The ground point is under the mess of wires.

Ground point (the bolt)

Attach a U connector to the neg wire, loosen the bolt, slide the connector under the bolt and tighten the bolt. If you do not have a U connector, snip a ring connector and bend it into a U.

Attach the Garmin suction mount to the FJ.

Finished
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ruebarb

#1 [url]

Jan 10 14 6:43 PM

Re: Alternate CB Location

How to run the Cable Inside the FJ to the remote box

First you need to follow bandi's instructions to install his mount. You'll find those on the first post by Bigbill.

Parts:
Wire snake

Panel remover

You can buy both at Pro Fit http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/dealers/specialtytools.html

Remove the end of the connector

Put a slit in the plastic hose that houses wires running from the door into the cabin. Run the wire snake from the cabin out through the hole.

Tape the cable to the snake and fish it through.

Push the snake over and behind the fender well and the end of the snake popped out here.

Remove the kick panel along the door, pulls up.

Remove the dead pedal, slide your fingers behind the top, grab and pull towards you.

Turn the plastic screw that was under the dead pedal, towards the left, pop off panel on left.

Remover the cover from the seat belt, remove the bolt. This was next to where the snake popped out.

Use the panel remover to pop the side panel loose.

Pull the snake back a bit from the rear and then fish it again so you can grab it from the panel you just loosened.

Now run the wire along the the other wires under the kick panel and connect it to the remote box. Put the panels back on, you're done.

Make sure you calibrate your antenna

Quick Reply

bbcode help